IIST Ph.D. Programme – January 2022 Admissions
Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology envisions basic and applied research for meeting the national R&D requirements of Science and Technology in general and the Indian Space Programme in particular. The institute provides a vibrant research atmosphere and offers doctoral and post doctoral programmes.
Applications for admission to the Ph.D. Programme starting in January 2022, in the departments given below: -
Earth and Space sciences
GENERAL SELECTION PROCEDURE:
1) Applications will be received through on-line only.
2) Candidates having fellowship from funding agencies such as DST, CSIR, NBHM, UGC, State Government Science and Technology Scheme etc, applying to research areas in Table 3 may also apply for other research areas in Table 1, if eligible.
3) Candidates are advised to visit the individual department profile for more details on the respective areas of research.
4) Candidates with valid fellowship from Government funding agencies shall upload a scanned copy of the fellowship award letter and indicate the period of fellowship validity.
5) A short-list of applicants for Online screening test or interview will be displayed in IIST website by 17.12.2021 (Tentative)
6) Online screening test will be on 22.12.2021 (Tentative)
7) Selection Criteria based on Online screening test & Interview: (i) The candidates who have participated in the Online screening test will be shortlisted if they secure a minimum of 30 % in each of Section A (section A comprises questions based on aptitude and class 12 Mathematics) and Section B (the research area) and a combined mark of 50 % and above for Section A and Section B together.
(ii) There will be a relaxation of 5 % for SC/ST/PD and OBC / EWS students, i.e., SC/ST/PD and OBC / EWS students require a combined mark of 45 % and above for Section A and Section B together, while the minimum is 30% in each of the Section A and B respectively.
(iii) There will be a 70 % weightage for the PhD Online screening test and 30 % weightage for the interview.
(iv) A student securing less than 10 marks out of 30 marks in the interview will not be selected irrespective of category and irrespective of the performance in the Online screening test.
(v) The combined mark for the PhD Online screening test and interview for a UR student should be 60 % and above to be selected
(vi) For the SC/ST/PD and OBC / EWS students, the combined mark for the PhD Online screening test and interview should be 55 % and above.
Candidates screened in through the online screening test will be called for an interview through Video Conference mode.
8) Provisionally selected candidates list, after the interview, will be displayed in the IIST website.
9) Admissions are governed by Ph.D Rules and Regulations of IIST. (https://www.iist.ac.in/academics/rules-regulations).
10) The date of the Online screening test will not be changed under any circumstances. The date of interview span over a period of several days. In case the date and time of the interview clashes with the applicant’s End semester examination in his/her qualifying examination, the Institute will consider shifting the date and time of interview within the overall window available.
11) During interview, candidates will be tested in their main research area and not restricted to the syllabus of the Online screening test.
HOW TO APPLY:
1) Applications shall be submitted online at the IIST website: http://admission.iist.ac.in. Applications received online only will be considered.
2) The applicants will not be allowed to make any changes in their registration profile once submitted. Hence utmost care should be taken by the applicants while filling their profile
3) Application fee for General/EWS/OBC candidates who are male is Rs. 700/- per Department (for SC/ST/PD and Women applicants - Rs.350/- per Department). If the applicant is eligible and wishes to apply for more than one Research Area in the same Department, he/she need not pay any additional application fee. The application fee is non-refundable. Applicants, who wish to apply to multiple
departments, will have to pay the appropriate application fee (sum of the application fee for each department).
4) The application fee shall be paid through online after completing the process of registration.
5) Applicants who are employed in Government/Semi Government/PSUs/ Autonomous Bodies need to produce a “No Objection Certificate (NOC)” from the current employer at the time of Interview.
6) SC/ST/OBC/EWS/Persons with Disabilities (PD) applicants shall upload the relevant certificate in the website before the prescribed date.OBC-NCL/EWS certificates issued after 01/04/2021 only will be accepted.
(To be paid at the beginning of every semester)
∙ A candidate who confirms the seat has to remit the fees of Rs. 7450/-. ∙ (*) SC/ST/PD students are exempted from payment of Tuition Fees.
∙ (**) will be collected at the time of physical reporting at the institution. ∙ (#) 3000 p.m. X 6 months as advance
∙ Additional fees: Supplementary Examination fees - Rs.100/- per paper and Thesis Submission - Rs.1000/- and Convocation fees - Rs.2000/- &Alumni Registration fees - Rs.500/-, which will be collected with the final semester fee.
1. Nationality: Applicant should be an Indian citizen.
2. Age Limit: Applicant should be below 35 years as on 13.12.2021. Age relaxation is applicable as per Government Rules.
1. Applicants with Master’s Degree in Engineering/Technology as their highest qualifying degree
Applicants with Master’s Degree in Engineering/Technology must have secured 65% marks or 7.00CGPA on a scale of 10 or equivalent in the Qualifying Master’s degree (60%marks or6.50CGPA on a scale of 10 for OBC / EWS, 55%marks or6.00CGPA on a scale of 10 for SC/ST/PD). They must have pursued their Master’s degree on the basis of qualified GATE score. However, there is no GATE cut off score for applicants with M.Tech./M.E as the highest qualifying degree, who are applying for Ph.D. in Engineering Discipline. Applicants with Master of Science in Engineering or equivalent from leading foreign Universities with minimum CGPA 8/10 or 3.6 /4 or equivalent can be considered without GATE score.
Selection Procedure: For candidates with M.E/M.Tech.as their highest qualifying degree, selection to the PhD programme will be based on online screening test followed by an interview. Interview will be conducted through Video Conference mode. However, candidates with a valid CSIR/NET-JRF or Lectureship post their ME/M.Tech, will be directly called for the interview through Video Conference mode.